Terms & Conditions
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS OF SERVICE CAREFULLY. THIS IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN CHECKMYPEOPLE AND YOU WHICH GOVERNS YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES PROVIDED BY CHECKMYPEOPLE. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF AND AGREEMENT TO ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IN THESE TERMS OF SERVICE AND YOUR REPRESENTATION THAT YOU ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER. IF YOU OBJECT TO ANYTHING IN THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO USE THESE SERVICES.
If you are accepting these Terms of Service and using the Services on behalf of a company, organization, government, or other legal entity, you represent and warrant to CheckMyPeople that you have full power and authority to do so.
CheckMyPeople may update or change these Terms of Service from time to time and recommends that you review the Terms of Service on a regular basis as posted on CheckMyPeople website. You understand and agree that your continued use of the Services after the Terms of Service have changed, constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Service as revised.
Review of Terms of Service
We may, at our sole discretion, review, revise and/or update this Terms of Service on the Website at any time. We therefore advise that you read through this Terms of Service periodically. You further agree that we will have no further obligation to notify you of any modifications and such updates or modifications shall become effective immediately upon the posting thereof or on any specified date. The most current version of the Terms of Service can be accessed at any time by selecting Terms of Service link on the bottom of the home page for the Website.
You must be at least 18 (eighteen) years old to use our Website or any of our Services; by using our Website or agreeing to these terms and conditions, you represent and warrant to us that you are at least 18 years of age. Individuals under the age of 18, or applicable age of maturity, may utilize our Services only with involvement of a parent or legal guardian, under such person’s account.
Security of Password
To fully enjoy our Services, you may be required to create an account and in which case you will be given (or you may provide) a username and password. Certain areas of our Services are only accessible with the use of username and passwords (“User Restricted Areas”). Please note that you are fully and solely responsible for any and all use of the Services and such, you are required to keep your password secret at all times. Do not share your password with any third party or allow another person to access the User Restricted Areas using your password. Kindly notify us immediately if you have any reason to believe that your username or password has been lost or compromised or misused in any way. Also immediately report any unauthorized or suspicious activity in your account.
The Website allows Users to request for Services. Accordingly, in using our Website, you agree to be bound by the following terms: As a User of the Website, you are responsible for making your own decision based on your independent enquiries, appraisals, judgment, wisdom and risks. Neither CheckMyPeople nor its affiliates, employees, directors or agents shall be liable for any damage, direct or indirect or loss or costs incurred due to the use of or relying upon any information, report, verification or contents of this site or any Website linked to this Website. Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of your NIN Report for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only.
All the contents of the Website , whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, as well as all derivative works thereof, are owned by CheckMyPeople, its affiliates and where applicable, to third parties and regulatory agencies who have licensed such rights to CheckMyPeople (“Licensors”). Hence, the Website is protected by copyright, trademark, and other applicable intellectual property rights/laws. Except as specifically permitted herein, you shall not copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, modify, transfer, assign, gift, create alternate database, sell, decompile or replicate the whole or part of or distribute the contents of or the Website or any part of it in any way, including by e-mail or other electronic means, without the prior consent of CheckMyPeople.
Restrictions on Use of Website
As such, you:
- shall not use our Website in any way or take any action that causes or may cause damage to the Website or CheckMyPeople, or impair the performance, availability, or accessibility of the Website.
- shall not use our Website in any way that is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity or in any way that breaches any applicable law or regulations.
- shall not to circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the Services; including security features that prevent or restrict the use or copying of any content.
- shall not use data collected from our Website for any direct marketing activity (including without limitation email marketing, SMS marketing, telemarketing, or direct mailing).
- shall not to alter, remove, or falsify any content, attributions or other proprietary designations of origin or source of any content appearing on the Website.
- shall not use the Website in any way to create liability, or in any way that causes us to lose the services of our Internet Service Providers or expose us to regulatory sanction.
- shall not download any content on the Website unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by us on the Website for such content, or unless we permit you to do so.
You further agree that:
- You are responsible for your own conduct while using the Website or Services and for any consequences thereof.
- You are solely responsible for your interactions with other users of the Website (“Users”) both within the Website and outside of the Website. CheckMyPeople expressly disclaims any responsibility for interactions, loss, or liabilities between users or between you and any third party outside of the Website.
- Your use of the Services is at your sole risk and the Website is provided to you on an “as is” and “as available” basis. You therefore agree to evaluate, seek independent advice and bear all risks associated with the use of the Website.
- We will not be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for any consequential loss) howsoever arising and whether in contract, tort or otherwise from the use of or inability to use our Website, or any of its contents and materials, or from any action or omission taken as a result of using the Website or any such contents.
- All liability is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law including any implied terms as the content of this Website “as is” without warranties of any kind. We reserve the right to change, revise or update any or the contents of this Website at any time without notice to you.
- You undertake that all communication, content, verification reports, intellectual property or other information, and materials on the Website , either marked ‘confidential’ or is by its nature intended to be for your knowledge alone, shall be kept confidential unless or until you can reasonably demonstrate that such communication, information and material is, or part of it is, in the public domain through no fault of yours. Furthermore, any communication, content, intellectual property or other information, and materials you obtain in terms of or arising from the use of this Website shall be treated as confidential and shall not be divulged or permitted to be divulged to third parties, without our prior written consent.
- The confidentiality obligation stated above shall not apply to information which:
- was in your possession or independently available to you without restriction before receipt from CheckMyPeople; or
- was a matter of public knowledge except through your own fault; or
- is rightfully received from a third party without a duty of confidentiality; or
- is independently developed without using any of CheckMyPeople confidential information, as evidenced by contemporaneous documentation; or
- is disclosed, with CheckMyPeople prior written approval, to a third party without a duty of confidentiality; or
- is demanded by a governmental, judicial or regulatory order, provided that prior to making such disclosures, written notification of the demand shall first be given to CheckMyPeople.
- Please note that all obligations relating to Confidential Information under this Terms of Service will continue after termination of the Services, or your use of our Website, and termination of access rights hereunder.
Use of suggestions
You acknowledge and agree that any questions, comments, suggestions, ideas, feedback, or other information provided by you to CheckMyPeople (collectively, “Feedback”) unless expressly stated to be confidential, are not confidential and you hereby grant to CheckMyPeople a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, publish, modify, edit or otherwise use such feedback as it deems appropriate, for any and all commercial or non-commercial purposes, at its sole discretion.
- not to access or use the Services in an unlawful way or for an unlawful or illegitimate purpose, including without limitation any violation of any data protection laws or other applicable laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria or any other jurisdiction where you are resident;
- not to post, publish or transmit on the Website (a) any message or information under a false name; (b) information that is unlawful, malicious, libelous, defamatory, obscene, fraudulent, predatory of minors, harassing, discriminatory, threatening or hateful to any person; or (c) information that infringes or violates any contractual or intellectual property rights of others or the privacy or publicity rights of others;
- not to post, process, publish or transmit any content (including works, data, materials (including without limitation), text, graphics, images, information, audio material, audio-visual material, scripts, software and files) that is illegal or unlawful; or infringe any person’s legal rights; or capable of giving rise to legal action against us or any person (in any jurisdiction and under any applicable law).
- not to transmit, distribute, introduce or otherwise make available in any manner through the Services any computer virus, keyloggers, malware, spyware, worms, Trojan horses, time bombs or other malicious or harmful code (collectively, “Harmful Code”) or to do any act capable of disrupting the operation of the Website ; Please note that we do not have an obligation to detect the presence of Harmful Code (as defined in “Restrictions on the use of your Services” above. Please note that if you download any content from the Website, you do so at your own risk.
- not to use the Website in any manner that could damage, disable or impair our services or networks.
- not to attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Website or any user accounts or computer systems or networks, through hacking, password mining or any other unlawful means.
You hereby agree as follows:
CheckMyPeople shall remain the owner of the know-how, trademarks, service marks, logos, slogans, patents, copyright, or other intellectual property rights belonging to it within or outside the Website. The use of the Website, and nothing contained herein shall create nor transfer any intellectual property right belonging to CheckMyPeople, and you are not allowed to use any such rights belonging to CheckMyPeople without our written consent. If you believe that any content on the Website infringes upon your copyrights, please contact us.
We partner with other financial/payment service providers in providing our Services to you. To enable you make payments on/through the Website, we may share your information with these financial partners. You therefore authorize us to share your identity and banking information with partner financial institutions in respect of our Services. CheckMyPeople shall not be liable for any default, negligence, or breach of the financial partners.
In the event of any breach of this Terms of Service, CheckMyPeople shall have the right to suspend or terminate all or a portion of the Services to you solely on our discretion or restrict your access to the Website . We reserve the right to revoke, terminate or suspend any privileges associated with accessing the Services for any reason (including regulatory instruction) or for no reason whatsoever. You agree that CheckMyPeople shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination or suspension of your access to the Website.
If you wish to close your account, you may do so by contacting CheckMyPeople customer service through the contact details below. Unless otherwise specified and agreed, you shall remain obligated to pay all outstanding payments, if any, relating to your use of the Website prior to such closure request.
Links to other Websites
Disclaimer of Warranty
The Website, its content and all services on the Website are provided “as is” and “as available” without any warranty of any kind, express or implied. To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, CheckMyPeople, its affiliates and any person associated with CheckMyPeople and its affiliates, disclaims all warranties of any kind, either express or implied, statutory or otherwise, including but not limited to any implied warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights.
Without limiting the foregoing, CheckMyPeople does not warrant that access to the Website will be uninterrupted or error-free, or that defects, if any, will be corrected within any specific timeframe; nor does CheckMyPeople, its affiliates, nor any person associated with CheckMyPeople make any representations about the accuracy, standard, reliability, currency, quality, completeness, usefulness, performance, security, or suitability of the Website .
CheckMyPeople does not warrant that the Website is free of viruses or other harmful components. You shall be solely and fully responsible for any damage to any computer system, any loss of data, or any improper use or improper disclosure of information caused by you or any person using your login credentials. CheckMyPeople cannot and does not assume any responsibility for any loss, damages or liabilities arising from the failure of any telecommunications infrastructure, or the internet or for your misuse of any of advice, ideas, information, instructions or guidelines accessed through the Services. It is your responsibility to install or download sufficient software or hardware protection for your device or computer.
Limitation of liability
CheckMyPeople and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents or employees are not liable to you or any other person for any punitive, exemplary, consequential, incidental, indirect or special damages (including, without limitation, any personal injury, lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs or other data on your computer or otherwise) arising from or in connection with your use of the Website or Services, whether under a theory of breach of contract, tort, negligence, strict liability, malpractice, any other legal or equitable theory or otherwise, even if CheckMyPeople has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
You hereby release CheckMyPeople and hold it and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents and employees harmless from any and all claims, demands, and damages of every kind and nature (including, without limitation, actual, special, incidental and consequential), known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way connected with your use of the Services. You waive the provisions of any law limiting or prohibiting a general release.
The foregoing limitation of liability shall apply to the fullest extent permitted by law in the applicable jurisdiction. This limitation of liability also applies with respect to damages incurred by you by reason of any products or services sold or provided on any linked Website s or otherwise by third parties other than CheckMyPeople and received through the Services or any linked Websites.
Without prejudice to the limitation of liability above, in the event of any problem with the Website or any of the services on the Website, you agree that your sole and exclusive remedy is to cease using the Website. Under no circumstances shall CheckMyPeople, its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents or employees be liable in any way for your use of Services, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in the Website , downtime, any infringement by the Website of the intellectual property rights or other rights of third parties, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of the Services.
Breaches of Terms and Conditions
Without prejudice to our other rights under these terms and conditions, if you breach these terms and conditions in any way, or if we reasonably suspect that you have breached these terms and conditions in any way, we shall:
- send you one or more formal warnings in writing to this effect.
- temporarily suspend your access to our Website.
- permanently prohibit you from accessing our Website.
- block your access to the Website.
- commence legal action against you, whether for breach of contract or otherwise; and/or
- suspend or delete your account on our Website.
Where we suspend or prohibit or block your access to our Website or a part of our Website , you must not take any action to circumvent such suspension or prohibition or blocking (including without limitation, creating and/or using a different account).
Governing law and dispute resolution
This Terms of Service and all disputes and matters arising from the Website (or its use) shall be governed by the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. In the event of a controversy, claim or dispute arising out of or relating to this Terms of Service, the Parties shall attempt in good faith to resolve such controversy, claim or dispute promptly by negotiation between the parties or their authorized representatives. You shall, before exploring any other remedy in law, notify CheckMyPeople of the dispute or complaint through the contact details provided on the Website. If parties are unable to resolve the controversy, claim or dispute, the parties shall be at liberty to explore any other dispute resolution mechanism known to Law including mediation, arbitration, or litigation.
Entire Agreement: This User Agreement constitutes the sole agreement between you and CheckMyPeople for your use and the provision of the Website /Services and the subject matter hereof, and no representations, statements or inducements, oral or written, not contained in this Terms of Service shall bind either you or CheckMyPeople.
Severance: If any provision of this Terms of Service is prohibited by law or judged by a court to be unlawful, void or unenforceable, the provision shall, to the extent required, be severed from this Terms of Service and rendered ineffective as far as possible without modifying the remaining provisions of this Terms of Service, and shall not in any way affect any other circumstances of or the validity or enforcement of this Terms of Service.
Waiver: Failure to insist on performance of any of the terms of this Terms of Service will not operate as a waiver of any subsequent default. No waiver by CheckMyPeople of any right under this Terms of Service will be deemed to be either a waiver of any other right or provision or a waiver of that same right or provision at any other time.
Assignment: You shall not assign, transfer, or delegate your rights or obligations hereunder, in whole or in part.
Binding: This Terms of Service shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of each of the parties and the parties’ respective successors and permitted assigns. A printed version of this Terms of Service and of any related notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this Terms of Service to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form.