Terms & Conditions
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS OF SERVICE CAREFULLY. THIS IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN CHECKMYPEOPLE AND YOU WHICH GOVERNS YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES PROVIDED BY CHECKMYPEOPLE. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF AND AGREEMENT TO ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IN THESE TERMS OF SERVICE AND YOUR REPRESENTATION THAT YOU ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER. IF YOU OBJECT TO ANYTHING IN THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO USE THESE SERVICES.
If you are accepting these Terms of Service and using the Services on behalf of a company, organization, government, or other legal entity, you represent and warrant to CheckMyPeople that you have full power and authority to do so.
CheckMyPeople may update or change these Terms of Service from time to time and recommends that you review the Terms of Service on a regular basis as posted on CheckMyPeople website. You understand and agree that your continued use of the Services after the Terms of Service have changed, constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Service as revised.
Review of Terms of Service
We may, at our sole discretion, review, revise and/or update this Terms of Service on the Platform at any time. We therefore advise that you read through this Terms of Service periodically. You further agree that we will have no further obligation to notify you of any modifications and such updates or modifications shall become effective immediately upon the posting thereof or on any specified date. The most current version of the Terms of Service can be accessed at any time by selecting Terms of Service link on the bottom of the home page for the Platform.
You must be at least 18 (eighteen) years old to use our Platform or any of our Services; by using our Platform or agreeing to these terms and conditions, you represent and warrant to us that you are at least 18 years of age. Individuals under the age of 18, or applicable age of maturity, may utilize our Services only with involvement of a parent or legal guardian, under such person’s account.
Security of Password
To fully enjoy our Services, you may be required to create an account and in which case you will be given (or you may provide) a username and password. Certain areas of our Services are only accessible with the use of username and passwords (“User Restricted Areas”). Please note that you are fully and solely responsible for any and all use of the Services and such, you are required to keep your password secret at all times. Do not share your password with any third party or allow another person to access the User Restricted Areas using your password. Kindly notify us immediately if you have any reason to believe that your username or password has been lost or compromised or misused in any way. Also immediately report any unauthorized or suspicious activity in your account.
The Platform allows users to request for Services. Accordingly, in using our Platform, you agree to be bound by the following terms:
As a User of the Platform, you are responsible for making your own decision based on your independent enquiries, appraisals, judgment, wisdom and risks. Neither CheckMyPeople nor its affiliates, employees, directors or agents shall be liable for any damage, direct or indirect or loss or costs incurred due to the use of or relying upon any information, report, verification or contents of this site or any website linked to this Platform.
Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on the Platform for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
Modify or copy the materials.
- Use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- Attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on CheckMyPeople web site;
- Remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials. Transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by CheckMyPeople at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
Available Content and Use
The Platform contains variety of Contents (which includes but not limited to text, data, information, files, documents, software, scripts, layout, design, function, aesthetics, graphics, images, audio, videos, audiovisual combinations, interactive features and any other materials) that you may view, access or download on the Platform.
All the contents of the Platform, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, as well as all derivative works thereof, are owned by CheckMyPeople, its affiliates and where applicable, to third parties and regulatory agencies who have licensed such rights to CheckMyPeople (“Licensors”). Hence, the Platform is protected by copyright, trademark, and other applicable intellectual property rights/laws. Except as specifically permitted herein, you shall not copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, modify, transfer, assign, gift, create alternate database, sell, decompile or replicate the whole or part of or distribute the contents of or the Platform or any part of it in any way, including by e-mail or other electronic means, without the prior consent of CheckMyPeople or its Licensors.
Restrictions on use of the Platform
- shall not use our Platform in any way or take any action that causes or may cause damage to the Platform or CheckMyPeople, or impair the performance, availability or accessibility of the Platform.
- shall not use our Platform in any way that is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity or in any way that breaches any applicable law or regulations.
- shall not to circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the Services; including security features that prevent or restrict the use or copying of any content.
- shall not use data collected from our Platform for any direct marketing activity (including without limitation email marketing, SMS marketing, telemarketing or direct mailing).
- shall not to alter, remove, or falsify any Content, attributions or other proprietary designations of origin or source of any Content appearing on the Platform.
- shall not use the Platform in any way to create liability, or in any way that causes us to lose the services of our Internet Service Providers or expose us to regulatory sanction.
- shall not download any Content on the Platform unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by us on the Platform for such content, or unless we permit you to do so.
You further agree that:
- You are responsible for your own conduct while using the Platform or Services and for any consequences thereof.
- You are solely responsible for your interactions with other users of the Platform (“Users”) both within the Platform and outside of the Platform. CheckMyPeople expressly disclaims any responsibility for interactions, loss or liabilities between users or between you and any third party outside of the Platform.
- Your use of the Services is at your sole risk and the Platform is provided to you on an ‘AS IS’ and ‘AS AVAILABLE’ basis. You therefore agree to evaluate, seek independent advice and bear all risks associated with the use of the Platform.
- We will not be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for any consequential loss) howsoever arising and whether in contract, tort or otherwise from the use of or inability to use our Platform, or any of its contents and materials, or from any action or omission taken as a result of using the Platform or any such contents. In any event, our liability for any and all proven damages or losses shall not in any circumstances exceed the amount paid by you, if any, in the course of any verification in question.
- All liability is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law including any implied terms as the content of this Platform “as is” without warranties of any kind. We reserve the right to change, revise or update any or the Contents of this Platform at any time without notice to you.
- You undertake that all communication, content, verification reports, intellectual property or other information, and materials on the Platform, either marked ‘confidential’ or is by its nature intended to be for your knowledge alone, shall be kept confidential unless or until you can reasonably demonstrate that such communication, information and material is, or part of it is, in the public domain through no fault of yours. Furthermore, any communication, content, intellectual property or other information, and materials you obtain in terms of or arising from the use of this Platform shall be treated as confidential and shall not be divulged or permitted to be divulged to third parties, without our prior written consent.
- The confidentiality obligation stated above shall not apply to information which:
- was in your possession or independently available to you without restriction before receipt from CheckMyPeople; or
- was a matter of public knowledge except through your own fault; or
- is rightfully received from a third party without a duty of confidentiality; or
- is independently developed without using any of CheckMyPeople’s confidential information, as evidenced by contemporaneous documentation; or
- is disclosed, with CheckMyPeople’s prior written approval, to a third party without a duty of confidentiality; or
- is demanded by a governmental, judicial or regulatory order, provided that prior to making such disclosures, written notification of the demand shall first be given to CheckMyPeople.
Use of suggestions
You acknowledge and agree that any questions, comments, suggestions, ideas, feedback, or other information provided by you to CheckMyPeople (collectively, “Feedback”) unless expressly stated to be confidential, are not confidential and you hereby grant to CheckMyPeople a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, publish, modify, edit or otherwise use such Feedback as it deems appropriate, for any and all commercial or non-commercial purposes, in its sole discretion.
- not to access or use the Services in an unlawful way or for an unlawful or illegitimate purpose, including without limitation any violation of any data protection laws or other applicable laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria or any other jurisdiction where you are resident;
- not to post, publish or transmit on the Platform (a) any message or information under a false name; (b) information that is unlawful, malicious, libelous, defamatory, obscene, fraudulent, predatory of minors, harassing, discriminatory, threatening or hateful to any person; or (c) information that infringes or violates any contractual or intellectual property rights of others or the privacy or publicity rights of others;
- not to post, process, publish or transmit any content (including works, data, materials (including without limitation), text, graphics, images, information, audio material, audio-visual material, scripts, software and files) that is illegal or unlawful; or infringe any person’s legal rights; or capable of giving rise to legal action against us or any person (in any jurisdiction and under any applicable law).
- not to transmit, distribute, introduce or otherwise make available in any manner through the Services any computer virus, keyloggers, malware, spyware, worms, Trojan horses, time bombs or other malicious or harmful code (collectively, “Harmful Code”) or to do any act capable of disrupting the operation of the Platform; Please note that we do not have an obligation to detect the presence of Harmful Code (as defined in “Restrictions on the use of your Services” above. Please note that if you download any Content from the Platform, you do so at your own risk.
- not to use the Platform in any manner that could damage, disable or impair our services or networks;
- not to attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Platform or any user accounts or computer systems or networks, through hacking, password mining or any other unlawful means.
You hereby agree as follows:
CheckMyPeople shall remain the owner of the know-how, trademarks, service marks, logos, slogans, patents, copyright or other intellectual property rights belonging to it within or outside the Platform. The use of the Platform, and nothing contained herein shall create nor transfer any intellectual property right belonging to CheckMyPeople, and you are not allowed to use any such rights belonging to CheckMyPeople without our written consent. If you believe that any content on the Platform infringes upon your copyrights, please contact us.
We partner with other financial/payment service providers in providing our Services to you. In order to enable you make payments on/through the Platform, we may share your information with these financial partners. You therefore authorize us to share your identity and banking information with partner financial institutions in respect of our Services. CheckMyPeople shall not be liable for any default, negligence or breach of the financial partners.
If you wish to close your account, you may do so by contacting CheckMyPeople customer service through the contact details below. Unless otherwise specified and agreed, you shall remain obligated to pay all outstanding payments, if any, relating to your use of the Platform prior to such closure request.
Links to other Platforms
Disclaimer of Warranty
The Platform, its content and all services on the platform are provided “as is” and “as available” without any warranty of any kind, express or implied. To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, CheckMyPeople, its affiliates and any person associated with CheckMyPeople and its affiliates, disclaims all warranties of any kind, either express or implied, statutory or otherwise, including but not limited to any implied warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights.
Without limiting the foregoing, CheckMyPeople does not warrant that access to the Platform will be uninterrupted or error-free, or that defects, if any, will be corrected within any specific timeframe; nor does CheckMyPeople, its affiliates, nor any person associated with CheckMyPeople make any representations about the accuracy, standard, reliability, currency, quality, completeness, usefulness, performance, security, or suitability of the Platform. CheckMyPeople does not warrant that the Platform is free of viruses or other harmful components. You shall be solely and fully responsible for any damage to any computer system, any loss of data, or any improper use or improper disclosure of information caused by you or any person using your login credentials. CheckMyPeople cannot and does not assume any responsibility for any loss, damages or liabilities arising from the failure of any telecommunications infrastructure, or the internet or for your misuse of any of advice, ideas, information, instructions or guidelines accessed through the Services. It is your responsibility to install or download sufficient software or hardware protection for your device or computer.
Limitation of liability
CheckMyPeople and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents or employees are not liable to you or any other person for any punitive, exemplary, consequential, incidental, indirect or special damages (including, without limitation, any personal injury, lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs or other data on your computer or otherwise) arising from or in connection with your use of the Platform or Services, whether under a theory of breach of contract, tort, negligence, strict liability, malpractice, any other legal or equitable theory or otherwise, even if CheckMyPeople has been advised of the possibility of such damages. You hereby release CheckMyPeople and hold it and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents and employees harmless from any and all claims, demands, and damages of every kind and nature (including, without limitation, actual, special, incidental and consequential), known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way connected with your use of the Services. You waive the provisions of any law limiting or prohibiting a general release.
The foregoing limitation of liability shall apply to the fullest extent permitted by law in the applicable jurisdiction. This limitation of liability also applies with respect to damages incurred by you by reason of any products or services sold or provided on any linked Platforms or otherwise by third parties other than CheckMyPeople and received through the Services or any linked Platforms.
Without prejudice to the limitation of liability above, in the event of any problem with the Platform or any of the services on the Platform, you agree that your sole and exclusive remedy is to cease using the Platform. Under no circumstances shall CheckMyPeople, its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents or employees be liable in any way for your use of Services, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in the Platform, downtime, any infringement by the Platform of the intellectual property rights or other rights of third parties, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of the Services.
Breaches of Terms and Conditions
Without prejudice to our other rights under these terms and conditions, if you breach these terms and conditions in any way, or if we reasonably suspect that you have breached these terms and conditions in any way, we shall:
- send you one or more formal warnings in writing to this effect.
- temporarily suspend your access to our Platform.
- permanently prohibit you from accessing our Platform.
- block your access to the Platform.
- commence legal action against you, whether for breach of contract or otherwise; and/or
- suspend or delete your account on our Platform.
Where we suspend or prohibit or block your access to our Platform or a part of our Platform, you must not take any action to circumvent such suspension or prohibition or blocking (including without limitation, creating and/or using a different account).
Governing law and dispute resolution
Assignment: You shall not assign, transfer or delegate your rights or obligations hereunder, in whole or in part.